In the world of construction and infrastructure designing MEP 3D models is one of the crucial parts and MEP stands for mechanical, electrical, and plumbing systems of a building. Having an effective MEP model will not only improvise the overall performance, decision making, and operations of a building but bring about greater efficiency and sustainability.
Being an MEP designer one can know the importance of accurate designing and MEP designing is well-known for its technical complexities. Access to authentic engineering dimensions and space requirements along with an idea of placements of other adjacent and integrated systems is critical. For flawless installations, it becomes necessary that engineers are completely involved with the MEP BIM Services. Even a minor error in MEP design can turn out to become major trouble and so having the ability to identify any possible errors in the design early on is important. Say for example, if a piece of equipment is incorrectly positioned it can harm the structural design, to the extent that such mistakes can impact the structural load capacity and cause disastrous safety issues. Even if we say there is error identification during the construction stage and is rectified before causing major harm, such things at the least will affect big on time and money thereby harming the overall budget and schedules.
MEP engineering services involve piping systems, wiring systems, fire alarm, and HVAC systems and so ensuring accuracy and efficiency of the design becomes a big responsibility. But if there are some challenges during the design process like maintaining connected systems, lack of collaboration among different stakeholders, waste of time for redoing drawings, not having project information readily available, and limited confidence in 3D content, then MEP designing with your current tools will become a tough task. So, having the appropriate tool for designing becomes essential not just for this stage but during on-site construction too. Using software Revit, MEP engineers can increase project collaboration, efficiency, save time, and much more.
Why should one use Revit Software for MEP Designing?
Revit is one of those tools which is used for building design and BIM services models and has been in great use to engineers and architects. Revit has tools that help with designing intelligent 3D models which will be used for construction documentation along with add-in tools that extend to construction workflows which specifically cater to MEP designers.
Some of the key reasons to use Revit for MEP BIM Modelling services are:
- Enhanced Efficiency: Many MEP contractors usually have the practice to redraw projects based on the given 2D drawings, while several others wait for the project to be awarded and finalized and then receive 3D drawings and use the 3D drafts as their baseline for contractors drawings. But when all the parties are working together in a Revit environment, they can share the same single 3-dimensional model. Usage of parametric modeling eases coordination and betters the change management. With this, anytime a change is done to the 3D model across various other disciplines, the database will get updated automatically thereby saving countless hours which could have been otherwise spent on manual change-making.
- Early-stage error identification: With Revit, there can be a creation of systems that have a set of logically connected elements. With this we mean, Using Revit System Analysis, one can define all the main components having information like size, flow rate, and power requirements, which creates a system that does not need to produce physical models. In addition to this, with Revit when two objects are merged, this software will automatically maintain connectivity even if the objects are moved around or resized. Such mechanics prove to safeguard the entire designing process. With this when you make a modification or a change that might create a system design flaw or error, Revit will detect and flag it for you so that one can solve the issue before the on-site construction starts.
- Accessing project information becomes easy: All the information needed by any stakeholder at any time can be retrieved easily as with Revit everyone can work from a single database. Having all information being recorded inside the Revit platform eliminates or reduces the need to document information on the paper. With Revit one does not have to dig around for the latest version of the design and stay assured that everything is always up to date and always available in the model generated by the BIM Outsourcing Services firm.
- Different Trades are well-coordinated: Revit has functionality with which it can hold different trades like structural, MEP designs, and architectural files with ease. The different trades are well in alignment with each other to enhance the overall efficiency and collaboration amongst different team members.
- Improvised and enhanced collaboration among all stakeholders: When Revit is being used by all the project members and stakeholders all the information spread across different trades is made available in one place. This means that if there is any addition of beams to structural design, the MEP designers will be intimated automatically so that they can adjust their systems according to the new changes. Not just this, one can even set user permissions to be able to restrict or share parts that they want other members to be exposed to.
- Designing with real manufacturer content: With Revit one can design MEP systems using actual components or content, which adds more details to the designs. When one extends Revit with a detailing add-in say Trimble SysQue one can get more detail by using real-world manufacturer-specific MEP content which becomes ready for fabrication. With this one gets access to millions of building components that might not be accessible anywhere else. This content is managed by service providers of the content which will always be precise and up to date. With such a level of detailing in the design, there is the ability to detect clash earlier and more easily.
Advantages of using Revit for MEP BIM Modeling
Knowing these key reasons for designing MEP trade using Revit Software let us now see some of the advantages one can have for the MEP project:
- Different MEP BIM Services like MEP Drafting, MEP designing, MEP modeling, etc. can be achieved using Revit faster and speedily
- It will streamline your BIM design along with your building model
- Any change made to the model will be automatically updated using the software
- BIM modeling workflow is enhanced using Revit MEP
- The in-built features of this software can assist in improving the productivity of project members.
ASC Technology Solutions is a leading BIM consultant providing bim outsourcing services in the USA, U.K, Europe, Australia, and Asia. ASC is a trusted bim outsourcing company for many clients across the world.